To ease the process of moving from home to your first apartment, we have put together this handy moving checklist for student housing. Take it, and personalize it to fit your specific needs, and it will help you through the process of transitioning into your new place.
Checklist For Student Housing: Hallway/Entry
Not all apartments have this space, but if you do, the following are some helpful items to get for the area:
- Hooks or coat rack
- A mat or shoe rack
- A small table for keys or other items you will need to access frequently
Checklist For Student Housing: Living Room
Again, your specific space allowance will determine how many of these items are applicable, but in general, a living room will include the following:
- TV stand
- Side table(s)
- Extra chair
- Coffee table
- Area rug
Checklist For Student Housing: Kitchen
Unless you cooked a lot growing up, you will probably be surprised at how many basic items you will need for your kitchen. The following are a few of the most important to get you started:
- Mixing bowls and a colander
- Pot holders
- Bottle opener
- Trash can and/or recycling bin
- Mugs and cups
- Shelf liners for your drawers and cabinets
- Silverware including knives
- Plates and bowls
- Baking sheets, pots and pans (invest in a few high-quality pans. If you take care of them, they will last for years and higher-quality pots and pans just cook better).
- Coffee machine (if you are a coffee drinker)
- Dish towels
- A few storage containers for leftovers (these will be invaluable for you as a student on a budget).
- Tin foil, paper towels (and holder), cling wrap, ziplock bags and trash bags
- Measuring cups
- Salt, pepper, honey, sugar and flour
- Dishwashing liquid both for hand washing dishes and running the dishwasher
Checklist For Student Housing: Bedroom
This is the space where you likely already have much of what you’ll need. The following are the must-have items for you new bedroom:
- Bed frame, boxspring and mattress
- Comforter, sheets and pillows and pillow cases ( add extra blankets if you tend to get cold easily).
- Bedside table (at least one)
Checklist For Student Housing: Bathroom
It’s very important to have your bathroom well stocked, so make sure you have all the items listed below:
- Bath mat
- Toilet paper
- Waste basket
- Shower curtain, hooks and liners
- Hand and bath towels and washcloths
- Hair dryer (other hair products and accessories).
- Soap dispenser or bottles of hand soap
- Toothbrush and toothpaste and holder
- Floss and mouthwash and other personal items like shampoo, conditioner, bath wash, loofah and the like.
Checklist for Student Housing: Cleaning Supplies
You probably won’t think about these items when first moving in, but you will need them before too long. So, go ahead and make sure you have these items before moving in:
- Rubber gloves (great for cleaning up not-so-pleasant messes).
- Dusting spray and/or wood polish and duster or dusting rags
- Cleaning sponges and/or magic erasers
The above checklist for student housing is far from exhaustive, but it will give you a good idea of how to begin packing. We would love to help you with all your student housing needs. Contact us at Douglas Heights for more information.